Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Things I Love - First Love

No, not THAT first love. I'm talking about my love of modern fabric designs. Although I have sewn and crafted most of my life, and collected fabric, I was totally unaware of the road being taken by new modern fabric designers and the fabric companies who contracted with them. I had always bought most of my fabric from local fabric stores, a few quilt shops; but mostly the big box fabric stores like JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics.

While I was perusing eleanor peace bailey's store a few years ago I happened upon the fabric of Heather Bailey, who just happens to be eleanor's daughter-in-law. Well, I can tell you I was overwhelmed, flummoxed, discombobulated even. All these beautiful fabrics in bold, graphic prints, fresh color and exciting ways to use them. I was instantly smitten. When I work with Heather's fabrics it's almost like smelling spring. I love her use of color, the clear, the soft, the vibrant. For me, her work is like no other. I am an unabashed fan of the first order. I will have to credit the fabulous Heather with giving me what I always wanted, new, fresh, exciting, fun fabric to soothe my savage sewing beast. From there I continued to search out new designers to see what they had to offer, Tina Givens, Anna Maria Horner, Amy Butler, Tula Pink....the list goes on and on.

These are the charming pigs I made using Heather Bailey fabrics and her wonderful pattern. I also can't say enough about the pattern. A well-written, clearly illustrated pattern is a boon to any sewist. Trust me, I've made my share of badly written patterns and this one is leaps and bounds above them. All pieces go together perfectly, and the result, well you can plainly see. It worked.

So thank you Heather for bringing me into the modern fabric world. No kicking or screaming here, I went willingly. You will ALWAYS be my favorite fabric designer.

1 comment: